|Location||Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines|
|Start date||June 2021|
|End date||December 2021|
|Client||Juárez & Associates|
Open Development and Education (ODE) were contracted to support the delivery of the USAID-funded LAC Reads Capacity Program (LRCP). This programme of support aims to increase the impact, scale, and sustainability of early grade literacy (EGL) interventions in the Latin American and the Caribbean (LAC) region, through the development and dissemination of state-of-the-art knowledge resources and provision of technical assistance to host country governments and other key stakeholders. The programme’s key activities are to:
- Increase the availability of curriculum-aligned open educational resources (OER) in the early grade literacy (EGL) field;
- Provide pertinent and evidence-based training for use and further adaptation of OERs in an Emergency Remote Training environment.
ODE engaged with the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS). Working with key education stakeholders from nine OECS Member States, ODE worked to develop an open and adaptable repository of culturally-appropriate early-grade OER content.
In implementing of the programme, ODE staff:
- Conducted a needs assessment to understand resource gaps and relevant content initiatives, with an audit of existing OER repositories with early grade resources and desk research on virtual learning environments
- Reviewed the existing OECS curriculum for reading and literacy, as well as the UNESCO Global Proficiency Framework for Reading, and created a categorization framework for mapping resources (a Curriculum Coding Scheme)
- Conducted iterative user testing cycles on platform prototypes (Kolibri, Kerko) to select an appropriate housing platform
- Designed and developed an open educational resource (OER) content repository using Kolibri, with over 2,900 curriculum-aligned early grade literacy resources in English and Spanish for Grades K-3, trialling and iterating suitable platforms with teacher focus groups. Reviewed existing materials and sourced culturally-appropriate new materials
- Designed and delivered training sessions to teachers on Open Educational Resources
- Developed User Guides (front and back-end) to provide guidance to support long-term use and maintenance of the platform
Key documents and references can be found in here in our Evidence Library, including: