|Location||Jordan, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda|
|Start date||August 2021|
|End date||December 2021|
Kolibri is an adaptable set of open solutions specially developed to support learning for learners without internet access. Centred around an offline-first learning platform that runs on a variety of low-cost and legacy devices, the Kolibri Product Ecosystem includes a curricular tool, a library of open educational resources (OERs), and a toolkit of resources to support training and implementation in formal, informal, and non-formal learning environments.
OpenDevEd (ODE) was contracted by Learning Equality, the proprietors of Kolibri, to conduct an evaluation of its Kolibri FLY Project. The Kolibri FLY Project utilized the Kolibri Ecosystem to deliver flexible, blended learning opportunities to secondary school students in refugee and host communities in Kenya, Jordan, Uganda and Tanzania focused on STEM, life skills and literacy. With Ugandan partners Ichuli, Consulting ODE led an extensive mixed-methods evaluation of the project, developing recommendations and a future implementation rubric.
ODE staff conducted the following tasks:
- Conducting a qualitative cross-sectoral assessment of 70 relevant stakeholders through semi-structured interviews and focus group discussions, including to define elements that contributed to project design, and have promoted or impeded sustainable Kolibri FLY Project implementation
- Conducting a quantitative assessment through the use of surveys and analysing available learner data from Kolibri
- Producing an evaluation report with recommendations for planning future Kolibri implementations at scale, based on the lessons learned and assessment conducted, examining the three key aspects of the programme: product, people, and process
- Developing an implementation rubric based on the considerations specific to the Kolibri FLY Project, with supporting guidelines, research design documentation, and training materials for implementation of the rubric
- Research management, stakeholder liaison, and coordination of partner organization Ichuli Consulting
The programme resulted in an evaluation report which will inform future implementation and scaling of Kolibri as part of adaptive and hybrid learning models to better help respond to educational challenges and achieve sustainable, long-lasting impact.
The final report can be found here in our Evidence Library. Citation: